Friday, April 15, 2011

Living on an Island

My life has been a very complicated one, and one of the reasons is based on my living situations when I was younger. I was adopted from El Salvador when I was 2 years old. My parents originally lived in Ohio, where they were both born. I have spent most of my time there, but I also had a home in Florida.
When I was younger, my parents would bring us to ohio for half the school year, and then the other half of the school year I spent in Florida. Not only did I leave in Florida but I live on one of the prettiest islands in Florida, Sanibel Island.


Sanibel has one entry and one exit bridge for the whole island. It is 6$ to cross it everytime except residents have a special plan. 

Not only does Sanibel have some of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen, but has amazing restaurants and shopping as well. I have gone to school on Sanibel from kindergarten till 8th grade. Now that I am older I have nothing but appreciation for it. I have made such good friends and we are all so close because we live on a small island. I grew up riding my bike around our Island and spending time with my friends. I don't think I could ask for any better childhood. 
One of my sisters, Kortney, lives on Sanibel with her husband and son. Its so nice to be able to drive 5 minutes to visit my close family. My mom also has a store on Sanibel that she owns and is very well known. When I am on Sanibel I feel like family. Wherever I go I know somebody and is welcomed by old friends. 
One of my favorite things to do when I'm back home is to go to the beach and just have a good day with my family hanging out. We usually all go out and bring the canoe, chairs, drinks, and fishing rods and just have an amazing time. This is something I miss very much while i'm away at college. 
Here are a few pics from days I spent at the beach :)



After a perfect day at the beach, the restaurants are the perfect spot to spend your evening. Sanibel has no chain restaurants. All of the food places on Sani are all locally known except for Dairy Queen. These restaurants are very pricey but very expensive. They make most of their business during the tourist season. Some of these restaurants are so well known that people across the country know them. One of my favorites is The Bubble Room.

This restaurant is one of the most expensive on the Island but its so good. Its a very small place that has the most unique inside you will ever experience. My sister had her wedding reception here because its one of our favs that is so fun and special.  

No comments:

Post a Comment